Monday, April 29, 2013

Pilanesberg National Park



So I know how my dad feels after a road trip. On Tuesday when we were at Pilanesberg National park I drove for about 10 hours. Average speed 30kph/18mph. Every time we got out at a hide (those were areas where you could get out and go closer to the watering hole. ) it felt funny to walk. Like it does after a good day of skiing.



It didn’t bother me too much. I wanted my mom and sister to enjoy their first safari. We started at about 830 and finished at 630. Between those times we saw so many animals. No lions though :(. (I was really hoping) About an hour after we got into the part we rounded a curve and there as this mama and her baby rhino about 6 feet off the road. So beautiful. We sat there in the middle of the road with our engine off for about ten minutes watching and taking pictures. It was so cool. The Giraffes and elephants took a bit longer. It wasn’t till around 12 that we started to see Giraffes. Nothing up close till after lunch. Same with elephants. There was one right next to the car but it was down in a old dry river bed and not easy to see behind the bushes. We did see a whole herd young and old alike a bit after that. Nothing close up till we were heading out of the park. One by himself right next to the road munching on food. Hippos were another story. I felt like in every body of water we saw some. First it was 3. The there were 7 or 8 with one that got out for a bit. There more with two out sunbathing. And more after that. Zebras, wildebeest, and every kind of bok (deer) were everywhere. Along with warthogs and these guinea fowl that were spotted with blue heads.


We had a PB and J picnic inside the park in a safe picnic area with a huge Rhino in the distance. A picnic Aunt Carol would be proud of. We also stayed till the very last minute. Even taking a side road last minute in the dark. But we did see another Rhino up close. Plus it gave me more pothole experience. Some of those roads were quite a puzzle to drive. It must have rained a lot recently because you could see the washout likes. I felt sorry for our little rental a few times. But we got through all in one piece.


For a first safari I don’t think mom and kt could have gotten luckier. That is unless a lion was spotted.

1 comment:

  1. Love always!! MomMay 1, 2013 at 9:59 AM

    You are right. It was awesome!!! The animals seen and the babies held. I had such a good week with my girls in Africa - It was truly a fantastic trip!

    ReplyDelete