Monday, December 5, 2011

A weekend of yummies.

So Saturday we hosted a Arbonne party. Which meant that there should be something good to eat. I did graduate from culinary school after all. It wouldn't be fair to invite people over and not cook something. This time I choose soup. Its one of my favorites to make.


The menu- Chicken noodle (a classic), Cheesy potato and broccoli, and French Onion.  All were fun to make. I had never made the French onion outside of school by myself. It was super easy. Except cutting the onions. I cried. They seem to always have that effect on me. I followed this recipe:

French Onion Soup

3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
6-8 (depending on size) yellow or Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2/3 cup sherry or vermouth
4 cups beef broth
2 cups chicken broth
Baguette slices
1 clove garlic, cut in half
1/2 lb. Gruyere cheese, shredded or sliced

Check out this site for the details.  


The potato one, I made up.  Checked out a few recipes online and then went for it. It turned out to be a favorite of many. And the Chicken Noodle is one that I have made many times. I started with a chicken that was farm-raised. I made stock. Cut up the carrots, potatoes, and celery. Later added peas and corn. This time I used moose pasta from IKEA. Everyone thought they made the soup. 

All three were really good. The family ate them again for Sunday lunch. And there is still some for my sister to take for lunch this week. 


This evening my sister and I did a little baking. Its the start to holiday baking. We did a batch of family caramel corn. Always a favorite in the family, especially with Grandma. I had some over ripe bananas so we did a loaf of banana bread. I will be surprised if it makes it through the week. And then we did some chocolate candy cane cookies. It was nice to bake with my sister again. She has been busy all semester with Student Teaching. 


No comments:

Post a Comment