Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pesto time!

My Basil is in full swing. Well it's not actually swinging but it has grown really really good.

See.


So I decided that I should do something with it before I head to Ne for a week.  Besides the garlic that dad picked up at the store on the way home, I had all the ingredients for pesto. I recently gave last years batch to a friend so it was time to replenish our freezer supply.  


For those who want to know how to make this easy sauce.  In a food processor or blender mix 2 cups basil (I always pack it in pretty good), 1/4 cup walnuts or pine nuts, 2 cloves of garlic, some Salt and a pepper.

  Mix it well.  Then drizzle in 2/3 cup of olive oil while mixing. Then add in 1/2 cup parm. Mix again. Then use fresh or freeze.






I use to freeze in peanut butter jars but in recent years have used ziplock bags so that I can break off what I want instead of thawing it all.



My favorite uses for pesto include- pesto cream sauce on pasta, cold pasta salad with chicken and veggies, tomato pesto soup.


No comments:

Post a Comment