Wednesday, July 31, 2013

26days -- Night shift


So one week a month a volunteer is to do a week of nights. Its a dreaded thing by most. I was made a leader soon after getting here. So I am lucky enough to have done more night shifts than the average volunteer.



On NS we clean the whole nursery. We folds loads and loads of laundry. We put our clothes for the next day for the kids. We feed babies. Rock babies. Neb babies. We restock nappies, formula and food. Its all about getting the place ready for another day.



The hardest part of NS is the sleeping. And the missing out on what is happening during the day. I use to sleep great during the day when I first started but now I don’t so much. But I always make myself stay in bed so I don’t get tired at 2am and want to sleep. That happen anyways. I usually bake to keep myself awake. If I sit on the couch I would be out.


The best part of NS is about 530 when you are almost done and the kids are waking up. There is a bit of snuggle/play time. Just a bit of special time before the day starts. The other best part is if your favorite is on regular formula feeds. That means you get to spend all night with them. Feeding and snuggling.


The worst parts are; Walks to laundry in the dark, noises in the night, the cold now that its winter, sleeping during the day and not really seeing the kids for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment