Friday, October 12, 2012

The Glen

Once a week we get a day off. Its always well needed working 10 hour days the other six days. So off days usually look like sleeping in. Anything past 530 is sleeping in. (Dad you should be proud. I'm almost a morning person.) Then relaxing. Skype is always in there somewhere and now baking will be for me. Well this past Wednesday we went to the local mall. There were 5 of us. The night shift ladies and then the two of us who had the day off. We took with us 5 of the babies. You know when you are attached to the kids when you find yourself with them even on off days. They are just too cute to leave behind and not see everyday.

So the 5 of us. See above. Got up early and got our babies ready for the day. Packed a nappy bag and fixed bottles for the day. Figured out how we were going to carry them. Stroller or not. We decided on just using carriers. Then went out to meet our driver. Only he wasn’t there he was at the airport picking up someone but couldn’t find them. So after moving around schedules. Anne and Zoe were able to take us. R and D fell asleep in the car. Too cute. So did M and C. But once at the mall, which is called The Glen, they were all open eyes and looking around.

Walking through the mall you could tell who was okay with white girls carrying black babies. We had a few comments. One lady kept saying “bless you” and “You can’t blame the babies”. I know that everyone who saw us had something to think about. That may be my favorite thing about having them with us. It would make one wonder why we had them. Are they ours?  That question was asked to almost all of us. We always explained that we worked at a children’s home.


We ate at a cafe for lunch each of us with a baby on our laps. Well except for M he’s a little big. My little one sat on one knee the whole time content. She did so good. I loved carrying her around. She slept a lot. So precious.

It was a good experience. I would do it again for sure. Having a baby didn’t stop me from getting my errands done. It just gave me a glimpse into what a real mom would experience on a daily basis. I know she isn’t my baby. But she has my heart and I love her and loved spending the day with her.

After I hung our new mirror in our bathroom. We didn’t have one. Its nice to know what we look like now. Oh the little things that make you happy in life. And then I skyped with my mom then went to see the other kids and went to a donut party in the evening. It was a good day off. 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun time. Looks like you have some other young girls that will be fun to hung out with! Are you getting a chance to show off your culinary skills yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe wish I could have gone with you guys with my three white babies! Lol. Love the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have baked once. But I am on night shift this next week and everyone expects me to cook all night every night. So Im sure I will get to show off then. Sarah I wish you could have been too. It was fun. One day we will go to the mall each with out own babies.

    ReplyDelete