Saturday, September 15, 2012

A day in the life.

So I promised you a better update.

How about what a day is like here. With tidbits of knowledge thrown in.

My alarm goes off at 530am.  I know quite early. I give myself a half hour to get dressed and ready for the day and to walk to the nursery. I live in Calli cottage. When they were built those who donated the money for the cottage got to name it. I am in one of the three down the lane from the main house and Nursery. So I have a 2-4 min walk to and from. On this walk I pass- a garden with three turtles in it. This is a memorial garden for all the children who have passed away. Not sure what the turtles are about but I know my niece would love that I live with turtles in my front yard. Then there is a broken stroller next to a burn barrel. I believe both are not used. Then going up the lane there is a garden on my right the whole way with a bunch of chickens penned in the middle of it. On my left I pass first geese. I asked a friend and we are not sure why they are here. Next is goats. They are milked and the milk then sold. There are babies now. So cute. Then comes the pigs. Also piglets. Not as cute since they roll in the mud all day. The pigs are sold for their meat.  Then there is a break. Next comes some playground equipment with soccer goals, trampoline, and all the essentials. By this time I am near the house. I pass by the main house first then the nursery. These are connected with many entry points. To enter the nursery we go thru the nursery kitchen. Then the fun begins. Already at 6 there are many kids awake. Usually with wee or poo (that is what 1 and 2 are here) filled nappies (diapers). Depending on the group you have, this changes day to day throughout the day, you change nappies, get them dressed and bathe them if it is the smaller ones. Then comes breakfast. Porridge for the little ones and toast for the Lions (that is our oldest group,up to age 4). Then there is milk. They drink a lot thru the day. Some of the milk is bought but some is milked from cows on the farm and processed onsite. (I had to dodge cow pies in the lane returning from dinner tonight). All this before 8. Then for the Lions they have preschool. The Creepies get to play and take a walk for a few hours before morning nap around 1030. The Grubs and fledgies play and hangout inside in the main nursery room.

So then at 1030 or 11 there is nap. Which is preceded by a nappy change. Nappies are changed when a poo is smelled otherwise.  All is recorded and kept on record. So its a memory test every time you change a bunch in a row. I might start carrying a pin and paper with me so I can write it down. Then nap time. Which means cleaning for us volunteers. Sweep and mop floors and pick up toys. Or spend some time washing dishes if need be. There is a specific job for that too. Its called wishy washy. But during naps no one is scheduled for it since we are basically free. Then after naps is a hour or so of play then lunch. Creepies and lions usually eat outside. A picnic each day. I like it. If its raining or cold we move the tables inside.  Lunch for lions and Creepies is whatever the main kitchen cooked for everyone. Big people food. The little ones in Grubs and Fledgies have their food made here. We do not buy premade. Its all home made. It actually looks and smells good. Banana, pumpkin, and mixed vegetable are just a few flavors. After lunch which for the creepies is a task in it self and and a good thing we eat outside. That way we don't have to clean up as much. The afternoon is filled with more playing and walks. A nap thrown in. Then tea and snack after nap. Then more play till dinner at 5. Dinner is eaten in the dining room by the lions. Outside or in depending on weather for the creepies. The Grubs are always inside in the main nursery room. Then after dinner is bath time for the creepies and lion. Then milk, story time and general wind down. By 7 all the kids are in bed and day shift is over and night shift begins.

I usually come home. Back down the lane and get ready for bed. Read and journal and then by 930 at the latest I am sleeping. Sometimes its 830.  As you can see its a busy crazy day running after children, pushing them on the swing, dancing and singing, throwing them in the air...

Then it all starts again the next day. There is usually a two or three hour break in there. Or you start later or get off early. My longest day was 11 hrs.

Hopefully, that gives you a little peak at what it is like for me at TLC.

Its hard work but worth it when you see the kids smile and they ask for a cuddle. Thats what some of the older ones call a hug. I am starting to have favorites. Along with favorite times with the different groups.

 I will try to tell you about some of the children soon. All the names will be changed for privacy reasons but I will try to keep with the same fake name as the year goes so it doesn't get confusing.

Till later.
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment