Sunday, January 22, 2012

Rainbow cake.

Every now and again I get the itch to bake a cake. Usually I resist.  I don’t need a cake sitting around saying “eat me”.  It had been awhile. So I gave in. 
Another thing that I have given in to lately, I'm sure that many of you have too, is Pinterest. Its a little dangerous. I tried one of the cakes that I have seen on there.
The problem was the recipes all used a box mix. I try not to use those. I mean I went to Culinary School.  I don’t think Chef Fred and Chef Mike would like me breaking open a box cake.  Plus its much more fulfilling (for me anyways) to bake one from scratch. So I had to search out a vanilla cake mix.  I haven’t made one of those before. I found a easy one on allrecipes.com. It turned out good. It was a little more dense then not. But it  had good flavor.
                     
Vanilla Cake.
12 servings

1 Cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare pans.
Cream together sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time Then vanilla. Combine flour and B powder, add to creamed mixture and mix well.  Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth. At this point I put the batter in six different bowls and mixed in coloring to get R..O.Y. G. B.V.  I then put them in the pans. In one pan I put Red, Orange and Yellow. In the other I put Green, Blue, and Violet.
 Then bake for 30-40 minutes. Till tooth pick comes out clear or cake springs back to the touch. 
I then used a vanilla butter cream recipe. Because of limited powdered sugar the cake was a little slim on frosting but it was covered. Then I used some blue sprinkles. Who wouldn’t like sprinkles.

When cut the cake came out with clear lines and bright colors. It would be great for a kids birthday. 


My new baking partner.  He helps with cleaning up. 

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I also love knowing my dog isn't the only dog in the world who gets to eat cake batter and cookie dough :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha my dad gave it to him. My dad was like "why waste, Im sure Yukon would love it."

    ReplyDelete